Monday, April 20, 2009

Succulent Planter





Succulents are my favorite type of plant and since we live in beautiful San Diego I am able to enjoy many different types growing in my own backyard. Succulents are water retaining plants that usually grow in dry arid climates. They store water in their leaves, stems, and roots and that gives them their fleshy swollen appearance. Most people will recognize the cactus as a succulent although it is just one of many different breeds.

I've found that succulents are very easy to grow since they require little to no reminder to water them often. So last year when I couldn't keep all my potted flowers alive the whole summer I switched them out with cuttings from my yard and they are still thriving today.
I made this succulent dish using a few different types of cuttings from my backyard and It took all of 10 minutes or less. Here's how to make your own.

1. Select a shallow dish, I used the water collector part of a pot I wasn't using. Fill it 1/2 an inch from the top with potting soil.


2. Choose a few different types of succulents from either cuttings or potted plants from your local garden center. If you use cuttings like I did, all you need to do is shove them in the soil and your good to go. For potted plants, dig a little hole and cover them as needed.


3. Vary the placement of the plants putting low lying plants near the edges and taller ones near the center. Mixing textures and colors throughout.


4. Water after you get all the plants arranged to your liking, then only once a week or so thereafter.

5. All done, Now you can enjoy your beautiful succulent centerpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment